Tobacco Trafficking Legislation Signed into Law
April 13, 2010
The AARC recently joined other organizations in supporting the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking (PACT) Act—and now it’s the law of the land. President Obama signed the bill on March 31.
The newly enacted legislation will:
- Require Internet sellers to pay all federal, state, local, or Tribal tobacco taxes and affix tax stamps before delivery to any customer.
- Mandate that the age and identification of purchasers be checked at purchase and at delivery.
- Require Internet vendors to comply with state and local laws as if they were located in the same state as their customers.
- Provide federal and state enforcement officials with new tools to block delivery of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products that evade federal or state laws.
- Ban the delivery of tobacco products through the U.S. mail.