COPD Educator Course
COPD Education is an area of growing employment opportunities. And with a growing COPD population, it is important you are able to discuss issues with your patients. In this course, you will learn more about diagnosis, assessment, treatment, oxygen therapy, medication, and disease management. Plus, you will learn how to teach your patients about COPD and how to motivate them to control it.
COPD Educator Course Learning Objectives:
- Describe components of assessment for a patient with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
- Describe in the types of pulmonary function testing including spirometry, lung volumes, diffusing capacity, and oximetry.
- Explain and contrast the 3 general approaches to smoking cessation
- Describe the required elements of a personalized medication care for COPD patients.
- Recognize common causes for miscommunication and identify strategies to avoid them.
- Given adequate information about a COPD patient, select the most appropriate oxygen delivery equipment to met their needs.
- Explain how participation in a pulmonary rehabilitation program can improve a COPD patient’s quality of life.
- Recognize the common barriers found in adult learning and discuss strategies to overcome them.
- Explain the pathophysiology of COPD in terms a COPD patient can understand.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of malnutrition and describe its effect of on COPD patients.
- Explain the purpose of the COPD Big Fat Reference Guide (BFRG).
- AARC Members: $165
- Non-Members: $225
If you would like to become a member of the AARC, please visit our Join/Renew area to join online or print an application. For your information, your contact information is shared with the COPD Foundation for followup on COPD related matters after the program.
Respiratory Therapists: This course carries 10.0 hours of CRCE credit. You must view all modules. No partial credit given. Upon successful completion of the course evaluation and a post-course examination, you will receive a certificate of completion and the hours will automatically be posted to your AARC CRCE transcript.
- Adobe Flash version 8 or higher
- A sound card and speakers or headphones
- Viewing tip: If a presentation is sluggish, close other open programs. Also, once a presentation starts to play, hit the pause button and let the loading bar get ahead of your viewing cursor.
COPD Educator Course
10.0 CRCE credits
|Go to AARC University to purchase this course and access course materials|
Conflict of Interest/Commercial Support Statement
Karen L. Gregory discloses that she serves on the speaker’s bureau for the Genetech/Novartis and Glaxo Smith Klein and receives honorariums for presentations from these companies. None of the other presenters in this course have declared a conflict of interest related to their participation in this course. Brand names may be mentioned as examples of technology.
- This course will be available for nurses through March 2015.
- Karen L. Gregory discloses that she serves on the speakers bureau for Novartis, Genetech, Monaghan Medical Corporation, Glaxo Smith Klein and Pharmaxis and receives honorariums for presentations from these companies. Content reviewers have evaluated this activity for potential bias and have found that the course is balanced in presentation and evidence-based content is provided.
- None of the other presenters or planning committee members in this course have declared a conflict of interest related to their participation in this course.
- Brand names may be mentioned as examples of technology but are not endorsed by the AARC or any of the presenters or planning committee members.
- Participants who attend the entire activity, complete the post-test satisfactorily (70% or higher) and complete an evaluation form will earn 10 contact hours.
This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the Ohio Nurses Association (OBN-001-91), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.