aarc.org Navigation Bar

CRT versus RRT

There are two levels of respiratory therapist: the certified respiratory therapist and the registered respiratory therapist.

Respiratory therapists are required to complete either a two-year associate’s degree or a four-year baccalaureate degree. Upon graduation they are eligible to take a national voluntary examination that, upon passing, leads to the credential Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT).

Subsequently they may take two more examinations that lead to the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential.

For more information about obtaining these credentials, visit the National Board for Respiratory Care.